The Discipline of Psychiatry has 6 academic divisions – these include:
- Division of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
- Division of Psychogeriatrics
- Division of Neuropsychiatry
- Division of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry
- Division of Addiction Psychiatry
- Division of Forensic Psychiatry
These Divisions correspond to sub-specialty areas in Psychiatry with numbers 1, 2, 3 and 6 now officially recognized as sub-specialties by the HPCSA and Certificates in these sub-specialties currently under development by the College of Psychiatrists of SA. Numbers 4 and 5 are in the process of being formalized as sub-specialties with the HPCSA.